Jaw and dental problems can range from minor annoyances to severely painful situations. These kinds of oral issues can be so painful that even simple daily tasks are difficult to perform.
Thankfully, there are various oral surgery options that can dramatically improve the way your teeth and jaw are aligned, how your smile looks, and alleviate all kinds of pain.
Here are some frequently asked questions pertaining to various oral surgery procedures:
- How many people have jaw issues? — When it comes to major jaw problems, about 20% of the population has some level of significant facial growth deformity. Orthognathic surgery can correct skeletal deformities and improve your bite.
- How long does orthognathic surgery last? — Typically, orthognathic surgery takes between three and five hours and is performed under general anesthesia inside a hospital or in a surgical center.
- How many people have dental implants? — Currently, there are 3 million people who have dental implants in the United States. That number is going to increase by about 500,000 each year, as well. However, 15 million people in the U.S. currently have dental crowns and bridge replacements for missing teeth and, according to the American College of Prosthodontists, more than 35 million Americans in total are missing all their teeth in one or both jaws.
- What is the success rate for dental implants? — According to the Journal of Oral Implantology, the success rate of dental implants has been reported as 98%. The estimated U.S. and European market for dental implants is expected to reach $4.2 billion by 2022. As of 2019, 10% of all U.S. dentists place implants, and that number is also increasing.
- When do wisdom teeth come in? –Wisdom teeth, often referred to as third molars, are the last teeth to develop. They come in between the ages of 17 and 25 years old and might not need to be removed if they grow in and are functional, cavity-free, disease-free, and painless.
If you want to learn more about oral surgery options and are ready to significantly improve the way your smile looks and feels, give us a call right away.